Thursday 25 May 2017

Unidentified yellow insects on cucumber...[SOLVED]

I know what many insects are and I like to think I'd be able to spot any normal pests in the UK.
However I've seen these things quite a bit in the greenhouse every year - they don't seem to do any obvious damage but can be quite numerous.


I know you're thinking "APHID!" but it's not. It's a fast moving yellow dot, around 1mm, they don't get any bigger and they don't stay still long enough to suck sap. They remind me a bit of mites but I only see six legs and not a mitey shape.

To the naked eye they're just a yellow dot.

I'm guessing from the constant movement that they might be predatory?

Update: We have a positive ID - they are Globular Springtails. Who knew. There's not much about them but they're not a pest directly so I'll leave them be.


No comments:

Post a Comment