Sunday 15 December 2013

Heated Propagator: Planting Chilli Seeds Early For 2014

So here's mid December,  and although some of last year's chillies are confused and still flowering, it's time to plant the earliest batch of 2014 crop!

Last year I was very late to the game, not planting anything until around May, so this year I hope for a lot better results!

I've got myself a heated propagator from amazon uk, £21 for a 38cm and it's 8 watt. Since it will be on a 15 degrees Celsius windowsill, I think it should be powerful enough to keep the soil around 25 degrees.

Sankey 100 - 8 Watt Propagator


The propagator comes with 2 trays.


..and capillary matting at the bottom. So just add soil and it's ready to go. 


Planting


I'll be careful to plant chillies that I think will germinate together so that I can move the trays out and put in new ones, instead of having to prick them out.

Tray 1- slow germination:

Orange habanero, numex pinata, bhut jolokia

Tray 2- fast germination:

Thai super chilli, cherry bomb, apache, and some seeds from my "super chilli" that I bought as a plant last year.


All done, now time to sit back and wait to see if anything pops up!


Are you planting your chillies yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment