Tuesday 6 August 2013

How Much to REALLY Water Your Chillis? An Open Discussion...

This is something that causes confusion and torment to all chilli growers. There seem to be quite a few opinions out there, including:

- The plant labels, that can say "frequently" or "daily"
- "Little, often"
- "Give them a drenching then leave them until totally dry"
- "Stick your finger down into the soil"

And so on.

So which is best? Well, don't expect a simple answer. But I might be able to give some insight! Read on...

It Depends On Your Soil

I chose very badly when I started this year, something I will learn from this year. The advice is to use a free draining compost. You really do need to, unless you can't be there to water your compost daily.

- A sandy cloggy compost like the John Innes stuff I bought only needs watering every 3-4 days if that, because it holds water like a sponge! See also my post on oedema, which I am suffering from as a result of this kind of compost. OK, not a major issue, but I imagine the yield will be affected, and it's VERY easy to overwater.

- A light, fluffy compost (literally, check the weight!) made of tree bark, etc. will need watering DAILY especially when it's sunny.

That's a big difference.


It Depends On Your Pot


A root bound specimen will need a LOT more water because the root to soil ratio is higher. Although being somewhat root bound doesnt seem critical to fruit production in my experience, I don't advise it. Always repot when you see roots poking out the bottom of the pot.

When repotting plants always choose one "just" bigger than the last.

This is because if you have a plant in a pot way too big for it, the water will just sit in the soil, and the roots will suffer for it.

So watering frequency depends on how much free soil is in your pot!


Look For The Signs The Plant Gives You


Chilli plants are natively grown in places where water is sparse, so they can take a lot of abuse when it comes to drought.
Some say that starving of water will make the chillis hotter, I'm not sure if it's true or not.
But - the method I often employ for knowing when my chillis need water is to look for its signs. They are very good at letting you know, by looking pathetic. Here's a photo of a plant that's wilted and needs water.

Wilting looks like this. Spot the inward curling of lower leaves.


The same plant just an hour later after having enough water.  
Be aware that not all plants are so dramatic, this Apache chilli is a drama queen, it can be watered in the morning and look like this at night.

It does them no harm in my experience to be watered this way, but be sure you can be there to water them - because I guess that any longer without water could start to get a bit more critical!


If you use this method for watering, you can be sure you're not overwatering at all, whatever soil medium you have.











Does it Matter? 


I'm not sure. I have abused, over watered, under watered my chillis, and other than the oedema mentioned above, I've observed no direct consequence.
I would be led to believe that chilli plants are VERY tolerant to water conditions, and so long as you don't keep them soaking wet (they are not a swamp plant!) then I think they will still give you fruits!

Of course, bear in mind that pests like those tiny fungus gnats will start to show up if you are keeping the top of the soil too wet. Those things, while they do no harm, are definitely annoying.

I also saw tiny mushrooms pop up with one compost I used when I overwatered!




Your Thoughts?


Please comment below - I'll publish all sensible comments and suggestions!









No comments:

Post a Comment